The Magic Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear Infections

Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear InfectionsThe MAGIC Salt Sock… The absolute best (natural) relief for ear infections and ear aches

Okay – This post has been a long time coming!  At least once a week I find myself recommending salt socks to patients (either for themselves or for their children.)  AND everyone comes back to say, “DOC, I can’t believe how well that worked!”  SO, since… ’tis the season of colds, flus and ear aches so I thought it was about time to put the info down in writing for all to enjoy!

In my opinion, the absolute best things for an ear infection are:

1. Get adjusted – misalignments in the upper cervical area (the upper neck) have been related to chronic ear infections in children.
  2. Do NOT lower the fever – the body raises its temperature to kill the bacteria.  If we lower that temperature we are interfering with the body’s natural defense mechanism and could prolong the infection.
  3. Use a SALT SOCK for relief while you give the body time to heal.

You can follow the simple instructions below to make your own salt sock.

HOW TO MAKE A SALT SOCK:

A Salt Sock is basically just a white cotton sock filled with Coarse Sea Salt that you heat up and place on the affected ear for relief. Scientifically I could speak about the healing properties of the minerals in the sea salt, or how the salt retains the heat so well creating a shift in the pressure within the ear… but its so much more fun to just say its MAGIC!!!  Who couldn’t use a little more magic in their life – especially when their baby is suffering with an ear ache.

Sock for Salt SockYou will need a clean – ALL WHITE sock.  Do not… I repeat DO NOT use colored socks, or socks with a colored toe section or colored line in the toe area.  There is something in the colored threads/material that is flammable and will melt when you heat the sock.  Do not risk it!!!

Sea Salt for Salt SockNext you will need about 1 – 1.5 cups of Coarse Sea Salt.  It has to be coarse or it will seep out of the sock… and it has to be sea salt – regular table salt is not the same.

Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear InfectionsCarefully pour the salt into the sock :)

Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear InfectionsAnd tie a knot (or double knot) in the end.

Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear InfectionsIt should be about the size of your hand.

Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear InfectionsHeat it in a clean skillet, over medium-low heat for about 4-6 minutes – pick it up and shake it around and flip it every minute or so, so it will heat evenly.  Heat until it is very warm, but not burning to the touch.  (*see below for tips if you plan on using a microwave to heat your sock.)

Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear Infections

Cover your ear and the area behind your jaw bone with the sock and relax for a while.  You will be amazed by the relief.

You can reuse the salt sock for a long time, though it will discolor after a while.  Replace with a new one when it gets too old, dirty or worn.

If you or your child continues to suffer with chronic ear infections, contact us.  We can help!  Chiropractic care and proper nutrition can put an end to chronic ear infections and make mom and child SUPER HAPPY!!!!

______________________________________

If this kind of information is right up your alley – Click here to subscribe to my blog – and you’ll get all my tips on keeping your family healthy and happy (on a budget)

______________________________________

NOTE ABOUT MICROWAVES: be very careful if you are going to heat it in a microwave – it will heat much faster and unevenly and will take a toll on the integrity of the sock. I do not use a microwave so I can’t give specific instructions, other than to say colored socks and repeated heating of the same sock in the microwave can lead to an increased chance of the salt melting or or the sock catching fire.  Use a microwave at your own risk and be careful and heat in 5 second increments, shaking up the salt as you go until it is the desired temperature.

______________________________________

I try to dedicate some time on a weekly basis to respond to pending questions and comments on my blog posts, but may not be able to review these comments right away.  If you are experiencing a pressing health issue that requires attention please contact our office by phone to make an appointment  or contact your health care professional.

The use of a salt sock or information in this post or its comment section does not serve to diagnose or treat any medical condition, and in no circumstance should replace medical care and supervision.  Most ear infections, in otherwise healthy children and adults, will clear up on their own without medical treatment.  However, in an infant, child or adult with lowered immunity they can progress into a severe infection or contribute to other secondary opportunistic infections.  A salt sock may alleviate the pain associated with ear infections naturally and will complement traditional medical treatment and natural remedies alike.

This entry was posted in chiropractic, Natural Health & Wellness, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

214 Responses to The Magic Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear Infections

1. Laurie says:

Would you recommend adding essential oils?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Hi there – you could absolutely add essential oils. I love essential oils, but I personally do not use them in our salt socks. If I did, I might choose a good quality lavender for its antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, analgesic and calming properties. :)

2. Bonnie says:

Should the sock be 100% cotton or a blend?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Your best bet will be 100% cotton. Blends tend to be more flammable – and nobody wants their salt sock to catch on fire when heating ;)

3. shiloh says:

This is great! Would it also work with pink Himalayan salt?

4. Alison says:

Would epsom salt work?

5. Sonya Addington says:

Yep – 44 seconds in the microwave = burned hole in sock.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

OHHHH NOOOO – I am not a fan of the microwave at all! My sister used the same salt sock for a year, heating it for 30-60 seconds in the microwave each time and and then one day the knot just went up in flames. She heats it on the stove now. Be sure your sock in all cotton and that there is NO color in your sock – no colored toe or stripes at all. And I do recommend heating it on the stove – 5-6 minutes flipping it over and shaking it around every 30-60 seconds. Keep it moving. and watch very closely if you continue to use the microwave.

• Laura Altes says:

Idea, if you are crafty, Sew a tube with fabric, (or use the sock) leave the end open, heat the salt in a glass measuring cup or something similar. Then pour the warm salt into the sock or tube and tie it off with a hair elastic or something similar. or even put a plastic zipper into your tube and just sprinkle the warmed salt into the fabric container and zip it up. No worries about setting fabric on fire.

6. lora says:

Could you use this for tooth aches as well?

7. Becca says:

I’m an adult with fluid inside my ear. I’m pretty sure it’s due to neck issues. I have been to the chiropractor, and need to go again, but finances prevent that right now.

Will the salt sock help remove the fluid from my middle ear for the time being?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Becca, salt draws out moisture for sure and definitely will not hurt. Let us know if you try it and ask your chiropractor if she/he has heard of Dr. Clum (my father in law is a big name in the profession) when you get adjusted next.

8. Becky says:

Wow! I wish I would’ve known about this as a kid. I suffered with earaches as a child until I finally had to have 2 surgeries due to scarring. My 2 year old son has inherited my ear problems. I will certainly give this a try on his next flare up.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Please let us know how it goes. Also please feel free to sign up for our news letter for more info like this!

9. Nan Marie Miles says:

Thank you Blessings to you & your family Happy New Year!! :-)

10. Ashley says:

I can’t wait to try. My 3yo has had a draining ear for a couple weeks. No pain but a smelly drainage. This morning he wake with bloody drainage. I’m trying to avoid antibiotics at all cost. Think the salt sock would help? Any other suggestions?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Thanks for your comment Ashley. I commend your desire to avoid antibiotics! The salt sock will definitely help ease the pain and speed recovery. Without a full history I am not able to give specific treatment recommendations other than to recommend doing everything you can to support his immune system so his body can heal (stay away from things that weaken the immune system – especially sugar, wheat and grains in general, and dairy during healing.) Keep him comfortable – the salt sock is great for this, as well as anti-inflammatory teas (like chamomile.) And find a pediatric chiropractor in your area – or come see me if you are on Long Island ;) I can’t emphasize enough how closely related the upper cervical spine is to the ears. A chiropractor who works with children should be able to give you many more specific recommendations too.

Ashley,

I have been discussing your question here with my husband, Dr. Don, also a chiropractor and a nutritionist. Bloody drainage, smelly drainage and so forth can be a sign of some serious problems. We have the luxury of working directly with some great medical practitioners and would have it checked out to make sure what we are dealing with if it were our child. Going to get checked out should not be scary and if you communicate your position and concern with your doctor they should be respectful of it and your position. At least you will know what you are dealing with and you can go from there.

There is just as serious a potential risk using wellness and alternative options for emergency issues as there is using emergency (medical) options for wellness and chronic conditions. I hope that is clear.

11. Mary Vote says:

Sounds like a good plan.

12. Misty says:

Does the salt sock have any benefits over using a rice sock? I am able to use colored socks and heat in the microwave with rice. I also do add essential oils. I’d never heard of using salt. I gave several homemade rice socks away for Christmas.

13. Joni Franchuk says:

I have been using a version of this to fix swimmers ear for many years. Heat salt in the fry pan and then add to the sock and place over ear. The heated salt draws out the trapped water instantly and releaves the water logged ear feeling and prevents infection.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. Please join our newsletter and community, sounds like you will fit right in!

14. Chelsey says:

Is there any thing you can think of for sore throats and ear infections both

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Great Question Chelsey! A sore throat is usually the first sign that your body is fighting an infection. The human body is innately self healing and this sign should elicit a quick response by you to do everything in your power to support your body’s immune system so it can do its job. Avoid sugar and junk food at all costs and flood your body with light but nutrient dense food, like a nourishing potassium broth while you are healing you can use the salt sock for any ear ache discomfort and herbal teas can give you a lot of relief for the sore throat. For sore throats I make a tea of slippery elm and chamomile (we call it dragon tea in my house because it makes a fiery throat feel better ;). Place the herbs (or a couple tea bags) in a quart jar and fill to the top with boiling water. Let it steep for 10-15 min, strain herbs out, and drink warm or cold throughout the day.

15. Joyce says:

Could I use Kosher salt?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I would personally not choose to use Kosher Salt. Firstly because of its texture – Kosher salt is more coarse than regular table salt, but its consistency is like large soft flakes, not large grains of salt like coarse sea slat. I’m not sure how this would affect the heating process. Plus mMost Kosher salt comes from land salt mines and so its mineral composition is different than sea salt and while it is not as processed as regular table salt, Kosher salt does go through more processing than most sea salt. But if I had to choose between using regular table salt and kosher salt, I suppose I would use Kosher salt and keep a careful watch while heating it.

16. Julie says:

This sounds lie it might be helpful for sinus pressure/headache.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

We are working on some info material and presentations for just that! Make sure you join our newsletter and we will keep you updated as to when it is released!

17. Beatrice Hall says:

I do wish you would have been around when my children were small.

18. Amanda Cramsey says:

My sister was recently diagnosed with viral labrinytis (sp?)…we are in IL or we would come see you…do you have any recomendations?? I thought this salt in the dock is worth a try…she has no hearing in the right ear at this time…has had 3 steroid injections to ear…we are 4 weeks in…any advice would be magical.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

How can we pass up magical? We would love to see if we could help you. You do not need to come to NY to see us, my husband has a distance online program called the Virtual Doctor. Tell him his wife said you can have a free initial meet and greet consult and he will take care of you! http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/

19. lw says:

My grandmother used to do something similar when I was a young child. She used a clean cheesecloth with corn meal inside and heated it up in the oven. What a great home remedy!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Grandma knew best! Thanks for sharing and sign up for our news letter. We would love to have a 3rd generation salt socker in our community!

20. Craig says:

You state “Scientifically I could speak about the healing properties of the minerals in the sea salt”. Could you give some references?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Craig, that is very accessible information. I would google it, and specifically the hygroscopic effect of salt. Look up sea salt, especially unfiltered and the breakdown of the minerals and trace minerals. You will find millions of references.

21. Racquel says:

Will this work on an infant of 9 months, has had constant ear infections, serum sickness from taking antibiotics, and I’m not wanting to give her any more antibiotics. I hope this will give her some relief?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Racquel, that is tough. I want to say the sock will heal that baby right up, but I don’t know that. Serum sickness, traditionally is from injected medications….could be antibiotics, pain meds or most commonly vaccines. I feel this discussion is better served by a private dialog, please feel free to email me directly at drdana@patchoguechiropractic.com and we can see what we can do.

22. Megan says:

Does the salt sock only give a temporary soothing effect like a heating pad? Or does the sea salt somehow have a txment that rids the body of an ear infection? I naturally would assume that the salt sock would be used along with ABT’s…but I could be wrong.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Megan, very good question. Yes, soothing and is hygroscopic (moisture absorbing) and has essential minerals. Nothing rids the body of infection but the body. Even antibiotics only kill bacteria….hopefully the ones causing an infection when ill, then the body does the rest. The majority of ear infections appear to be viral making antibiotics not medically indicated if so. If you did go the route of antibiotics, then yes, the sock can be used congruently.

23. Angela says:

Please remind people the importance of watching for signs of further illness. I have had 3 family members with Meningitis all stemmed from ear infections.
    I do love this post, homeopathic remedies really are healthier for all of us. However sometimes little ones can not express well enough pain or even the exact location of something when it doesn’t seem right. Love those babies dearly and carefully!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Absolutely! There are always other contributory factors with these issues. Also, just because you go the natural route does not mean that you can not go more medical as well, they are not one or the other. My husband has a online program called the Virtual Doctor where you can get more info and with his medical-integrative experience he can coordinate with your MD directly as well if needed or desired. Check him out here at; http://www.yourvitrtualdoc.com

24. Kim says:

Would it work for cluster headaches?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Chiropractic will help greatly with that, but the sock was not designed for that. If you try it let us know how it goes!

25. Kim says:

Where do you buy sea salt?

26. Amanda Cramsey says:

My sister was diagnosed the week of Thanksgiving with viral labyrinthitis. I was wondering if you have ever treated this before. She has no hearing out of her right ear, her balance and dizziness is getting better but not back to normal…she saw a specialist with Washington Univ. in STL and he gave her 3 steroid injections into her eardrum…Can you offer any advice?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

That is too specific to go into here but I would be happy to discuss it further with you if you send me an email directly in the pop up box on the main blog. I hope to hear from you!

27. Kim says:

Will this work for an inner ear fluid build up, does not ache, but lost my hearing?

28. Mary Barbee says:

Does this salt sock work on headaches?

29. Debbie says:

Is it not dangerous to let the child run a temp?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Not usually, more danger in lowering it. There are always exceptions. For example just one dose of tylenol can raise asthma risks in kids 560%. See the other posts about fever issues or shoot me an email directly via the pop up box on the main blog for more specifics.

30. Dorrie says:

I have two questions:
    My three year old son is suffering from bouts of vomiting the past two days due to a tummy bug is there anything you suggest to soothe a troubled tummy?

Secondly my son has hardened wax in his ears and we have been treating his ears with a warm soapy water in an attempt to remove it. Some is coming out but is there any other natural approaches we can take to help him?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

There are always natural options and many times they out perform the medical ones. I always prefer to talk directly to people with specific questions like these. Go a head and email me via the pop up box on the main blog.

31. Diana says:

My Momma used heated salt on us, as did her mother on her. That’s over 90 years – no sea salt, just regular salt. Always helped.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Awesome! Thank you for sharing, 3 generations huh? We would love to have you join our newsletter and community.

32. Cassie Barnett says:

Hi. I don’t get ear infections just really, really, really bad earaches. My chiro has adjusted me and he even straightened my ear canal by pulling on my lobe somehow but sometimes they still hurt. So bad to where even touching the ear is excruciating. Would this help and do you have any idea what could be causing the aches?!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Hi Cassie – Yes the salt sock will still help you find releif for the aches. And I’m so glad you’ve been getting adjusted – keep that up. If the aches still don’t clear up though there could be another issue going on. We help people with this all the time, but we would need more information than what can be covered on a comment thread. I’d love to offer you a free phone consult, so distance isn’t an issue, that way we can review your history and I can give a better recommendation. You can click here to set up an appointment if you like.

33. LISA says:

where can you buy coarse sea salt, and would it help for lower back pain, thanks,

34. Robert H. says:

Thank you for this. I’m a 40 Y/O dad who suffers from life-long chronic ear infections. And, my middle daughter has suffered with the same battle, with the same ear no less. She’s now 16 and currently has a major infection. I will definitely be taking her to my chiropractor tomorrow. Are there specific adjustments or chiropractic techniques that I can ask about?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Robert, very good question. I would look for an “Upper Cervical” chiropractor. I like these guys http://thespecific.com/ but if there is not one by you then call and ask or google Upper Cervical Chiropractic in your area. Since it appears to be a chronic issue you would be smart to look at addressing chronic contributory factors like nutrition, stress, supplementation and diet. That is my husband’s gig. Tell him I sent you over and he will give you a free intro consult at: http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/

35. Tiffany says:

Hello, my fiancé gets a inner and outer ear infection about once a month. What would be the cause of this ?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Thanks for the easy question! Honestly, not so easy, there could be many issues at play. I would have to suggest a more in-depth work up for a chronic issue like that. I can get you a free intro consult with my husband who has a online distance program called the Virtual Doctor. Go here at http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/ and tell him his wife said he can have a free intro consult!

36. Martha says:

My mother has fluid on her ear. She went to the Dr and he gave her a shot..no relief. She returned to him and he gave her nasal spray and steroids..still no relief. Now they want to put a tube in. Do you think the sock will do the trick?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I would definitely try it before tubes. Find a good chiropractor (like us) that can address her neck as well….still better than tubes! Let us know how it goes.

37. Dana says:

Hello – I’ve been dealing with fluid in my ear for the past 11 days now. I am on a second/stonger antibiotic but am still dealing with the ear pressure. There’s no pain or discomfort, just a plugged ear that keeps popping and of course my balance is off. I have tried several techniques to help with the fluid but nothing has worked; yoga positions, rubbing the back of the neck, around the ears, ect. What are your suggestions on how to release this fluid that is making me dizzy and off balance? I have been to a chiropractor too. I’m getting tired of this drunk in a daze feeling in my head. I will try anything.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Hi Dana, great name! That is a tough spot you are in. I would prefer to discuss this directly if you wouldn’t mind. Feel free to write me via the pop up box on the main blog. Thanks!

38. Kathy Britsch says:

Would love your newsletters. ……..Jesus (supernatural) first than NATURAL second. Thank you. I will get my salt sock going…

39. Tammy Trahan says:

Was wondering how long can you keep using the same sick filled with salt and when do you change to a new one?

40. A friend of mine had a bad ear ache for two days and I told her to try a heating pad on low, and to lay her ear on to it. She did this and she was amazed that the next day the pain was gone. Maybe it is the heat itself, that is the benefit…what do you think?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

No doubt. Dry heat will help from any source. Salt is naturally hygroscopic (absorbs moisture), a benefit you don’t get from a heating pad, salt sock is pliable, retains heat for a long time, is easy to handle, kid friendly and has the added benefit of the minerals and circulating ions (anti-oxidants)….not to mention our favorite!

41. Meredith says:

My husband lives with fluid in his ears that never drains. Everything sounds muffled to him and he constantly has that feeling you get when you take off in an airplane. None of the usual remedies like yawning or holding your nose and blowing ever seem to help. He went to an ENT who prescribed some medications that also did not help. I guess adult tubes might be an option. I was wondering if adjustments or the salt sock would do anything to help him. Thanks

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Yes. What will it do and when? Not sure. I would do both, get adjusted and use the sock and give it some time and see.

42. Barbara says:

What about swimmers ear.

43. kori says:

Is there any reason you should not heat this in the oven?

44. pauline says:

Will this help lower back pain(muscles and bones).

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Heat can be tricky. Low back pain can come from many sources. Heat often can feel better but doesn’t get you better. Chiropractic does wonders and if you want more specific support shoot me an email!

45. Misty Compton says:

Dr. Clum, will this also help with ringing in the ear/ears??? Do you have a good remedy to try for ringing of the ear/ears?? Your response would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Depends on what is causing the ringing. Feel free to email me directly in the pop up box on the blog for more specifics.

46. April Sprayberry says:

Will course kosher salt work too?

47. Sue Vega says:

Would the sea salt help with the fullness and ear ringing that comes with Meneires disease?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I doubt it has ever been studied, so you would have to try it and see how it works for you. Also never underestimate a good chiropractic adjustment.

48. amy says:

I was wondering if you could just heat the sock in the dryer. It seems that might be easier (and safer in case you forgot it was there!).

49. Kristen says:

My 4 month old baby recently had an ear infection and his temperature got up to 104. In this case, do you still recommend not giving medicine to lower the fever?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Hi Kristen. That is a very specific question that can have many answers. Our kids have had fevers upwards of 104. The medical research says that a high fever in kids, even up to 106 is really only an issue if it stays high and constant for 3 days, in otherwise healthy kids. Even then the risk of febrile seizures is low and the effects rarely permanent. The body is fighting something real hard when the fever gets high and reducing the fever does not fight the infection and will consequently hinder your body’s ability to do just that, fight the infection. Medications are a very personal call, only you can decide to take or not take a medication. I know it is hard to see your kid suffer, for us too, but we know they are healing in that moment and the fever is the solution not the problem.

50. A. WALTON says:

I recently flew back to the U.S. from Asia on a 16 hr. flight. I had no problems until I took a one hour flight on a smaller plane to connect to home. My ears started popping on the plane and over a week later I still feel like I’m on the plane. My ears pop and are stopped up a lot making it harder to hear than normal at times. If I blow my nose it will sometimes temporarily clear them and they will pop. No fever. Slight runny nose (not bad).

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Yeah, try the sock. We travel a lot, lived in 3 countries, and know the ear issues with kids and adults….but I do have to say that is a long time to still be having issues. Try the sock and let us know how it goes.

51. Deborah Sanders says:

I have used the salt sock for 35 years while raising my children when any of them suffered from an ear ache or tooth ache. Now I use it for my grandchildren…. It still works. I heat my sock in the oven for about ten minutes on a cookie sheet… I heated it up in the microwave for the first time and the knot caught fire. Had to make a new one. All my children now have a salt sock in their homes for their children. No home should be without one.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Love it! Thanks for sharing that, we would love to have you in our community, please make sure you sign up for our news letter! Oh, and your kids are very lucky to have you:)!

52. Christy McCall says:

Would this work on swimmer’s ear? We have a pool and my granddaughter got water in her ear, which caused her pain. At that time, I went on the internet and found a recommendation to cook an onion and use the juice from that in her ear. It worked really well, but I did feel uncomfortable putting something in her ear.

53. Adrielle says:

How does this work differently than using a rice bag/pillow heated up?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Check out some of the other posts, we discuss that, but it is not much different, those other options just do not have the minerals.

54. Christie Dolliver says:

Can the salt sock be used for any other aches and pains or is it specifically designed for earaches? My mother has Rheumatoid Arthritis and I was just curious if that may work for her. I also suffer from migraines that I use a rice sock for instead of medication. Would the salt sock work for that as well?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

That is a very specific question, we are getting a lot of those, but not one I can answer on a comment thread. I would be happy to discuss it further directly if you could send me a message on the pop up box on the main blog, thanks!

55. Shirley says:

Hopefully this will help me. I have an ear infection now and my ears were swollen shut and the Doc put cotton wicks in my ears to get the drops in my ears and put me on antibiotics. The wicks came out finally, they only stayed in about 4 days. I feel like I am in a tunnel with talking and can tell its still a little swollen cause I still cannot put my back teeth together. Will the salt sock help with this? I don’t really have pain anymore. Also have eczema in both ears. Any input would greatly be appreciated.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I would feel better discussing this directly. Send me a note via the pop up box on the blog and we can go from there. thanks!

56. teresa says:

my granny use to make me corn meal pillows the same way and that works to and feels so good!

57. Kimberly Shaver says:

Hi! I had surgery at the beginning of Nov, to remove 1″ square from my scull and the top of C1 because I have a Chiari 1 malformation. Since my surgery I have had 2 ear infections. The first was inner ear and was not painful, the second is an external ear infection which as I’m sure you know is excruciating. Whilst this external infection has been going on however, I seem to have been leaking the fluid that has been sitting under my scalp but on top of my scull, via my ear… Strange… Anyway as a post decompression Chiarian I have to wear a medic alert bracelet so that no one hyper extends my neck. Can you please tell me if I can still be adjusted? And will the salt sock help me if my ear infections are being caused by my surgery? Thanks!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

That is quite a story! not something I feel I can advise on here, please send me a note via the direct pop up box on the blog and we can discuss directly. Thanks

58. Stephanie says:

I read your article on Facebook. I have been having issues with my ear since my daughter was born 21 months ago. I hear a very loud pulse like sound in my ear. I have been to an ENT and had an MRI with no relief or answers. Do you have any suggestions for me?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

That sounds a bit complicated. Why don’t you send me a meeage directly via the pop up box on the blog and we can discuss directly. Thanks!

59. Tani Mcbain says:

Do you have a remedy for back aches?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

LOL, that is a funny question to pose to a chiropractor! Of course I do, there is nothing better or safer, good old fashion chiropractic adjustments. Add in the proper exercise and an anti-inflammatory diet and you will be on the road to recovery! Come see me on Long Island or find a good DC near you. If you want help in the diet, exercise and supplement world sign up for a free consult with my husband at http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/
      Tell him his wife sent you!

60. Vera Love says:

Re Cassie Barnett question:

I had ear pain caused from grinding my teeth at night. Went away when I started sleeping in a night guard designed by my dentist.

61. Debbie says:

Would this help with chronic ear wax issues?

62. I just happened to read this post on earaches and Salt-sock. When I was a little girl and I got sore throats, my Mother would do the same thing with the salt. Heat it up and put it in a hanky or towel and put it on my throat. It worked too just like for the earaches. After all these years, I’m finally reading about the salt. Guess it’s a good cure.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Cure or not it sure can help the process. The body is amazing and truly wants to heal and be well, this seems to help! Thanks for the comment and make sure you join our news letter and community!

63. Rachael says:

I’m 28 y/0 and have been fighting an ear infection for about a week now
    I have lost about 60% of my hearing in that ear. Any ideas when this will
    Be better

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I wish I could tell you. Ear infections can be complicated and the healing process has a LOT to do with other aspects of your health and lifestyle….like overall system strength, eating habits, toxicity, and so forth. We do test for toxicity if you are interested you can get one here: http://drclum.com/doctors/shop/

64. KKris says:

Seal salt? How cruel, you get salt from dead seals?

65. Mel says:

Wouldn’t a rice sock be just as effective?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I don’t know. The concept is similar, but I really like the mineral aspect that the salt brings and the idea that some negative ions (anti-oxidants) could be circulating through the ear as well. But we have never compared the two.

66. Teresa says:

You said the sock is re-usable, but does that aply to the salt as well? Can you just keep re-heating the same salt without having to dump it out and start over?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Good question! We use the same salt for the life span of the sock, you should be good! You actually could even switch the sock and keep the same salt if it gets ugly.

67. Brittany says:

I can not wait to try this on my 11 mth old who is teething and continually pulling on her ears, and has had 2 ear infections.

Would this help with sinus pain/pressure and infections, or do you have any other remedies you suggest

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Please let us know how it goes for your baby! We are working on other articles and presentations for small kids and soar throats and sinus issues as we speak. Make sure you follow us and join our community newsletter so we can make sure you get the info when we release it! Good luck!

68. pam says:

Was wondering if this could be used for joint aches and pain from fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

My husband works a lot with people suffering from fibromyalgia and other chronic pain issues in his Virtual Doctor Program. Heat can be tricky, and as good as it might feel might not be what you need or help as much as one might think. It is hard to get much more specific than that in this forum, I hope you understand. Feel free to contact Dr. Don at http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/ and tell him his wife said you can have a free meet and greet concept to see if he can help you!

69. Lynn Howdeshell says:

I will try the magic sock. I have ringing in my ears. Sometimes so loud that it is impossible to do anything as well as hear. If I am in a room with many people it is so bad. Will the magic sock help? I sure hope so. Thank you for your help.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I hope so too! It works wonders but will not stop the noise from a room full of people! HaHa. Chiropractic can help with that too. Let us know how it goes.

70. Nancy says:

What about lower respiratory infections. I seem to have bronchitis 3-6 times a year and every other year or so it turns to pneumonia. I am allergic to many plants and plant extracts (chamomile being a biggie). I’ve also had an auto immune deficiency since 1983. I try to eat whole, unprocessed foods, stay away from gluten anddairy and I drink gallons of water from my Zero pitcher. I just want to be healthier and not feel sick.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Thank you for sharing here Nancy. That is a very specific situation you have and think there is a lot you can do to support your system to be healthier and feel less sick. I commend you for looking into other options. My husband, Dr. Don has a distance program that might suit you better. Feel free to make a free appointment with him at: http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/ Tell him I sent you!

71. Pingback: The Magic Salt Sock: Natural Relief for Ear Infections | Fox River Mamas

72. Bev Wymna says:

I have been having ear issues fluid and infections. Been on steroids and antibiotics for 2 months, any help from a chiropractor?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Wow, that is a tough combo, I am sorry to hear that. Yes, chiropractic may be able to help, as would some nutritional modifications and potentially supplementation to help with the immune effects of the steroids and the gut imbalance from the anti-biotics…..but that is a very specific concept for each person. My husband, Dr. Don, has a Virtual Doctor Program where he can get into more detail with people. If you are interested please feel free to set up a free consult to review your history and give you some more specific options. Tell him his wife sent you! http://www.drclum.com/schedule-appt-online/

73. Kristina says:

We have always used Epsom salt scorched in a iron skillet then poured into a sock! I have had ear infections all my life and this is the greatest thing ever! Works every time!

74. Miranda says:

Will the salt sock help someone with vertigo….no ear pain just pressure behind the jaw bone, dizziness and nausea associated with vertigo.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I am not sure. It does appear that the reducing the moisture in the infection or irritation helps relieve pain as well as help with water in the ear, as in swimmers ear, so it just might. We work with vertigo as it related to the cervical spine often. Jaw pain and even nausea is not as uncommon as many people think. I would suggest consulting your friendly neighborhood chiropractor for sure.

• Cj says:

I also have been struggling off and on with vertigo. Lately I’ve been getting more than not. I have gone to a chiropractor and I believe that’s when my latest bout has started. (No offence) this may sound odd but I can hear a fizzy sound in the neck area working up to the nape and occipital bone. Any suggestions for me?
        I’m tired of vertigo reacurring so often.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Chiropractic for sure. Other than that it is hard to know what is going on without more info. Feel free to contact me directly via the pop up box on the main blog!

75. mary lofty says:

Is this considered a medical treatment? Could child care providers use this while waiting for a parent to arrive at care to pick up a sick child?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

We do not consider it a medical treatment, for there is no diagnosis and it is not prescribed or used to treat a medical condition in this sense. I would not consider it any more invasive or less appropriate than ice on a twisted ankle, band aid on a scrape or damp towel on a forehead. I would consider it less invasive than tylenol for pain, or anti-biotic cream for a scratch, or even ginger-ale for a tummy ache. I hope that helps.

76. John Anglin says:

Will this work for dogs as well?

77. Tiffany says:

Wow! so glad to find this, just did a google search from a comment on a friends post on Facebook. My son seems to have chronic ear infections and has had tubes put in, would you do the same for a 1 year old? Getting him to lay still long enough might be a challenge but I am willing to try anything to help him get relief without antibiotics!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Thank you for sharing that Tiffany. I do not think there would be an issue using it with a child who has tubes. At the end of the day it is dry heat and minerals that circulate around. You might want to start in short time stretches and see how he feels. Make sure you join our community via the newsletter and keep an eye out for more info!

78. Tonya says:

Can rock salt be used?

79. Diana Clark says:

Is this safe for children under a year old?

80. Diane says:

I like your info!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Thank you Diane. Please let me know if you try it and how it helps. Please feel free to join our community via the news letter, we would love to have you with us!

81. Jenni says:

This is really a really good idea, thanks

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

You got it Jenni, please let me know if you try it and how it helps. Please feel free to join our community via the news letter, we would love to have you with us!

82. Leilani says:

Would the salt sock help with too much wax in the ear? My son is autistic and will NOT let me use debrox or any other wax softener in his ear but he complains about not being able to hear because he has so much wax buildup. I’ve taken him to an ENT specialist who has tried (unsuccessfully) to vacuum his ear. This is an ongoing problem and I am looking for a solution that doesn’t involve multiple people holding him down and getting his ears cleaned at the doctors office. Thanks.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Most people do not NEED to clean wax from their ears. I am sure there can be exceptions to this, but wax is a natural process of cleaning and protecting the ear and usually excess will simply fall out. That being said I would not have issues trying the sock if it were my son. We have seen that nutrition goes a long way in working with ASD, as does chiropractic. Maybe a more multi-faceted approach might help him be more open to help if the ear wax does not subside? Feel free to email me directly at drdana@patchoguechiropractic.com

83. Nalini says:

Is this similar/different than a rice sock? Also, does it matter if it’s an inner ear infection or not?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Yes, it is similar as it pulls out the moisture, just doesn’t have the mineral benefit with rice. I would still use it personally with an inner ear infection. Even if you use a medical approach this could help in the process.

84. Nicole says:

I have been Sick And Had To Blow My Nose A Lot. Because Of This, My ears Are Stopped Up And I its Like Being On A Plane. I’ve Tried The Gum, The Yawning, Putting hydrogen Peroxide In My Ears, But Nothing Works. They Don’t Hurt, But It’s Extremely aggravating Feeling Like I Can’t Hear. Any suggestions?

85. Donna Ernst says:

Could you use sea salt and white stocking to put on an abcess on the neck?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I personally would not. Abscesses are wide in variety and out of my scope, especially not having more info.

86. Tracy says:

Could you use this for jaw pain.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

This is not specifically a general pain remedy, but works well with ear pain due to the moisture factor. The jaw is tightly related to the neck and ear, TMJ has been shown to improve with chiropractic care, a visit to your friendly neighborhood chiropractor might be your best bet.

87. Betty says:

Do you have any recommendations for constant dizziness and an MRI has not revealed any major problems?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

We work with issues like yours often, most of the time the issue comes from problems in the neck, but there can be other issues. Not much more I can offer you in this type of forum, have you tried chiropractic?

88. Kristen says:

Would the salt sock be safe for an infant? My son is 4 1/2 months old and ready has his second ear ache/ infection.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Sorry to hear that, he is so young. I would have no issue using it with one of our children at that age. Take care and don’t heat it up too much. Our experience is that at that age they still want to be held, so cuddle him up when you apply it. Please let me know how it goes if you try it.

89. Sharon says:

Thank you for posting this. I’m not sure it will help but I had ruptured 2 cervical discs
    And had 2discectomies with fusion and bone grafts spinal cord decompression.
    I’ve had problems with my left ear since hearing water running, feeling like fluids in the
    My ear. I’m going to give this a try.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I am sorry to hear all that. We work with spinal issues daily, pre-surgery, post, fusions, discectomies, rods, you name it. Keeping what can be mobile moving helps greatly in the long run, keep at it. Even with your spinal challenges i would suggest finding a friendly neighborhood chiropractor with experience like we have to see if they can help you. Let us know how it goes, hope the sock helps.

90. Tammy Evans says:

Do you think this would work on a dog? Our dog gets ear aches/infections often.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

I would have no issue trying it with our dog. The warmth is soothing and if moisture is provoking it then is should help….if you can get your dog to sit still for long enough:) It certainly could not hurt.

91. Chris says:

I have alot of salt left over from the soft pretzels you can buy, is that the same as sea salt?

92. Stephanie says:

Would it work for an ear that is stopped up and rining sometimes?

93. Donna says:

Do you know of any treatment that may help Tennitis? A result of fluid build up from a cold, there seems to be no relief. The noise is sometimes deafening. Specialist give no hope only hearing aids and retraining the sounds your ear listens too.

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Sounds like you have been around the medical block with this. Check out some of the other comments, I think we cover a good amount. Let me know if you don’t find what you are looking for.

94. Cschultz says:

My 11 year old son gets fluid in his ears but no infections. Would the salt sock help drain the fluid buildup?

95. Debbie says:

So are you saying it would or wouldn’t work for TMJ, I did have chiro treatment for a while and it helped a bit, am hoping insurance will cover me again this year. I also suffer with migraines. Thnx

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Debbie, I really am not sure if it would since TMJ can have many elements. Often it is bio-mechanical, can be neurological, can be tooth related and more. Migraines like the majority of other head aches can come from problems in the neck. That would make me think the TMJ might be as well, but I can not say for sure. If you try it let us know how it goes.

96. laura says:

I can’t wait to try this with my 27 month old. He has had chronic ear infections since 3 months. We did chiropractic care until he had hearing loss. We did tubes at 11 months, infection 7. He still has one.tube, but an infection in the other ear. The aENT is wanting to do tubes again if he has 2 more infections. I hop this helps.

Would ice cream salt be the course salt you mention?

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

Laura, wow, sorry to hear about all of that. I do hope it helps. I would stick to sea salt, it has a better variety of minerals. Please let us know how it goes and feel free to join our newsletter so we can keep up. Please let me know if we can be of any further service.

97. Karen says:

Is there any value to using flaxseed rather than salt?

98. Holly says:

I have had a vp shunt placed a little over a month ago to reduce intracranial fluid due to benign intracranial hypertension. In the last few weeks I have a heartbeat sound in my right ear. Sounds like an underwater heartbeat similar to an ultrasound of a babies heartbeat. Will this possibly help? I believe my shunt needs adjusting but surgeon doesn’t want to adjust it. I can’t hear very well out of my right ear because of this noise. I sure will give it a try. Any advice?!?!? Thanks

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

That is a very specific situation, hard to say. If you try it let us know ow it goes for you and if you want to give some more details so I might help more please send me a note directly in the pop up box on the main blog, thanks!

99. terese says:

Where do you find the type of sea salt for this sock? In the food area like in the baking aisle? Or in the pharmacy area? Thank you.

100. Morgan says:

Hello,

I am an adult who still suffers from ear infections. My question is will this have the same effect for adults? If so, does it clear up the infection or does it just make the pain go away? One more question, for adults, should it be larger?

Thank you!

• Dr. Dana Clum says:

The body does all the healing, but removing some moisture might help in that for sure, and help it feel better. No, same size is fine!

101. Kaoutar says:

I’ll try it and I’ll get back to you ASAP !

102. Sharon says:

This is amazing can’t wait to try it out!! I have a few family members who could really benefit from this treatment. Especially my dad who suffers with upper neck pain from arthritis , an problematic ear ache, thank you for sharing a great alternative.

103. Dianna says:

I heat herb filled neck wraps in my microwave often for spa parties. I always include a cup of water in the microwave while heating the neck wraps. The moister from the heating water keeps the fabric from burning but it does not make the wraps moist feeling at all. This tip should help those of you that want to heat your salt socks in the microwave.

104. amanda says:

My mom has done this for years and I co this also but we’ve always used table salt and it works too other than the salt will sometimes sprinkle a smidge from the sock but never enough that its ineffective. We also heat the salt first then put it inside the sock with a funnel.